Login Problems?

If you can't log into the forum, go here for help. Forum Login Info

The Avalon Team

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:47 pm 

Hopefully all my questions are not getting annoying...

Still working on my HWM character but I was reading the CBA core and the Mini-Mission book to make sure I understand everything. I was/am a little confused on how to start off. All the contacts listed have pre-requisites before I can claim this as contacts and accept missions from them. Sounds like a short superhero career. :(

Then I re-read the core rule book to make sure I did not miss anything. And, in re-reading page 9 it appears I have to roll on the Patrol table! Heck, it even says At the start of a new issue-unless otherwise instructed-roll once on the Patrol Chart to determine any random events. RTFM!! :) Makes sense as a new hero needs to get some street cred before anyone will talk to him.

I looked at the table on page 9 and it says to roll 1D20 but it has values up to 24+. Next to the Street Gang entry it says Roll 1D20 adding the adventure's modifier. On page 38 where it talks about Street Gangs it says to Roll 1D20 adding the adventure's modifier to determine the Street Gang event. So, my question is for the Patrol Roll Chart, is it just 1d20 and a Mission Book will tell you to add to the die roll or is it supposed to be 1d20 + adventure's modifier?

Thanks.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:31 pm 

TriOpticon wrote:
Hopefully all my questions are not getting annoying...

Still working on my HWM character but I was reading the CBA core and the Mini-Mission book to make sure I understand everything. I was/am a little confused on how to start off. All the contacts listed have pre-requisites before I can claim this as contacts and accept missions from them. Sounds like a short superhero career. :(

Then I re-read the core rule book to make sure I did not miss anything. And, in re-reading page 9 it appears I have to roll on the Patrol table! Heck, it even says At the start of a new issue-unless otherwise instructed-roll once on the Patrol Chart to determine any random events. RTFM!! :) Makes sense as a new hero needs to get some street cred before anyone will talk to him.

I looked at the table on page 9 and it says to roll 1D20 but it has values up to 24+. Next to the Street Gang entry it says Roll 1D20 adding the adventure's modifier. On page 38 where it talks about Street Gangs it says to Roll 1D20 adding the adventure's modifier to determine the Street Gang event. So, my question is for the Patrol Roll Chart, is it just 1d20 and a Mission Book will tell you to add to the die roll or is it supposed to be 1d20 + adventure's modifier?

Thanks.

The adventure's modifier is based upon the adventure book you are using. The mini-adventure book has none as the character are all 1st level. On the other hand adventure book 6 has a modifier of +2. This reflects the higher level characters and adventures that siad books offers.

So you will not be able to roll the high end results on the parol chart until you start to use the higher level books.

As for the ranks. Yea, we assume you have none to start. You can of course give yourself a rank of one in some or all if you want to get things going faster. The reason for this was as you outlined, we assume the starting level characters will have no contacts and will have to build them up. This also allows you to run the game several times and come up with different missions and contacts, ranks and the like each time you work through the book. There are more then enough adventures for you to run through each book several times and with several different characters.

If you want a fun example of the system and who it works, see our blog posts and the Gadget Girl adventures, which all take place in the mini adventure book.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:11 pm 

hemdog560 wrote:
The adventure's modifier is based upon the adventure book you are using. The mini-adventure book has none as the character are all 1st level. On the other hand adventure book 6 has a modifier of +2. This reflects the higher level characters and adventures that said books offers.
Got it now. I just checked Mission Book 1 which I also have and it says in large, bold print it is +0.

hemdog560 wrote:
As for the ranks. Yea, we assume you have none to start. You can of course give yourself a rank of one in some or all if you want to get things going faster. The reason for this was as you outlined, we assume the starting level characters will have no contacts and will have to build them up. This also allows you to run the game several times and come up with different missions and contacts, ranks and the like each time you work through the book. There are more then enough adventures for you to run through each book several times and with several different characters.
Nice! I like that.

hemdog560 wrote:
If you want a fun example of the system and who it works, see our blog posts and the Gadget Girl adventures, which all take place in the mini adventure book.
I will do that. Thanks for pointing me to them. I think I read part of it but not the whole thing and missed at the end of the first issue where it talked about how you rolled a 20 on the first patrol. :)

Once I finish my character I will post it and then begin his adventures!

OfflineProfile