Login Problems?

If you can't log into the forum, go here for help. Forum Login Info

The Avalon Team

It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Post subject: Counter Wars
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:48 am 

So I have been playing some games of Counter Wars, and having a blast. This little gem has allowed me the thrill of a table top battle like I used to get with Warhammer and other miniature games, but without the hassle of the models and space needed.

We have played three games so far, all at 200 points as that seems to be a good point were you can bring in a fair number of characters and allows for a good mix. Each game the goblins won and so far are undefeated.

Our first game was the goblins against the dwarfs, with the goblins bringing in a troll, an ogre and ogre magi, a chief, hero and shaman and some wargs and warg riders, all filled out with a pbnch of cheep goblins to fill out the points.

The dwarfs bought a cannon (Boom!), a bear rider, and a lot of dwarfs, along side a rune smith, thane and some slayers, berserkers and bashers. Last but not least a giant filled out the ranks.

While the game was close, in the end the goblins pull off a victory, mostly because the dwarfs had two bad rounds of crap dice rolls. I am still convinced that had the dwarfs rolled better, they could have won. Still the goblins did swarm the dwarfs, an while a one on one fighter with a goblin is no big deal, the dwarfs had a hard time dealing with the swarm effect, ganged up by small goblins and then while held in place this allowed the goblins to get off charges on the side and rear of the dwarf, which will bring down anyone.

The second battle was the goblins and elves going at it. This time the goblins more or less had the same army, but without the troll and more wargs and war riders. The elves bought some archers and spearmen, of course some blade dancers and rangers, as well as some mages. A unicorn and a mounted elf filling in the ranks.

This time around the elves found that their elder magic allowed several elves to get enchanted weapons, while the goblins savage magic let then get off one or two real good charges with an extra D6, which made all the difference in the battles. Once more, the elves had two bad rounds of dice rolls and the game was lost with the goblins swarming the poor elves and surrounding all of them with several attacks on all sides. Elves archers proved to be great as shooters, but also in melee with a good charge.

The third battle was with the goblins and the elves, but taken to an extreme. The goblins bought nothing but cheep goblins, no magic at all and only a chief to round out the numbers. A cave drake was the big buy for the goblins. The elves on the other hand bought a few archers and scouts, rangers and blade dancers, but then all their other points went to magic users. A tree singer, a hero, and two spell singers. Two centaur filled out the ranks.

So this time it was the elves just trying to kill off as many goblins as they could, but they never could get enough on the little green folk down. Ya every time the elves made any sort of attack the goblin died, but there were just too many one them. In the end the goblins surrounded all the elves and just brought them down. Highlights of the battle were the elves shooting the crap out of the cave drake, doing 28 hits in one round. Poor critter had no chance. The elven tree singer was a blast as well when on her first turn she used the move tree spell and rolled a large forest over 10 goblins. She did not kill any of them, but hurt all of them. Had she been able to get the spell off a few more times she could have maybe turned the tide of the battle. One of the spell singers took water as her spell school, and used wave to great effect, knocking down goblins attacking her or in the path of the spell.

So what have I learned. When fighting a goblin hoard army, you have to turtle up, and protect your flanks so the goblins cannot not get more then one or two attacks on you per turn. If you can keep then for getting off those side and rear charge attacks you can hold on for a long time, killing a goblin each turn. Healing potions for your best warriors would be good too.

We have also come up with a few house rules, which seems to make thing better. Use these if you want.

Hills: Small and medium characters do not block line of sight between an attacker on the hill and their target below and the same for those making attacks at targets on the hill.

Fear and Horror: Fear generates a -1 morale mod and horror a -2. This seems to make both a bit more affective.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Counter Wars
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:49 am 

Been having such a good time with Counter Wars, I may jump into some different genres with the system. A fun Sci-Fi and maybe some sort of modern horror version. Might go with some kind of Mas Maxx car battle as well. We will see what the future has to offer.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:03 pm 

Just fnished two new verdions of Counter Wars, both will be out next year.

First up is a great super hero version of the system, along with three expsndions. Four color battles st its best. Then we have Droid Wars which allows some cool robot battles.

I have plans for a WWII verdin as well as several set in the IF Fringe setting.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:30 pm 

I recently bought the Counter Wars bundle. It looks interesting, but the rules pdf is missing some things.

The rules refer to Command Cards, but none are included with the pdf.

Also, the Goblin and Dwarf units are missing, as are the terrain markers and the templates.

Edit: Might be helpful to note that I bought it on rpgnow.com

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:45 pm 

Gee sorry about that. Also sorry it took so long to get back to you on this issue, I don't always check here all the time. FYI, the best way to contact us here at Avalon is direct, with the email given with each product, or through the RPGNow customer service link. Otherwise it might be a while before we see what is going on.

OK, as to the down load issue, I checked the files, and they are all fine and complete, so the only thing I can think of you that being it is such a large file to download, you might have gotten a bad download. I have re-uploaded the files in question, and a new download link should be arriving soon.

If you still are having troubles, then contact me direct and I will set up a drop box download for you.

As for Command Cards, we had planned to offer such cards, but at the last minute left them out as it was a bit too much. We did though, leave in the rules in place just in case we wanted to add then back in as an option rule, which we are still thinking of doing.

Rob
Avalon Games

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:02 am 

Не так давно на российском рынке появилось
одно универсальное средство,
которое точно понравится каждому
второму автолюбителю.
Вот оно http://vk.cc/6Zw80Q

Называется оно японское жидкое стекло Willson Silane Guard.
Суть очень проста, необходимо взять в аренду помещение,
и заняться полировкой кузова авто.
Необходимость в такой полировке несомненна.
Она понадобится в любое время года.

Результат на лицо

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:07 am 

Не так давно на российском рынке появилось
одно универсальное средство,
которое точно понравится каждому
второму автолюбителю.
Вот оно http://vk.cc/6Zw80Q

Называется оно японское жидкое стекло Willson Silane Guard.
Суть очень проста, необходимо взять в аренду помещение,
и заняться полировкой кузова авто.
Необходимость в такой полировке несомненна.
Она понадобится в любое время года.

Результат на лицо

OfflineProfile