Login Problems?

If you can't log into the forum, go here for help. Forum Login Info

The Avalon Team

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:31 am

Post subject: Realms Session Report
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:06 am 

Another session report posted up on BGG, this time for mini-game #5, Realms.

BGG Link: Realms: Orcs of the Tabletop

I commented earlier that this one reminds me quite a bit of Tom Wham's 'King of the Tabletop'. I agree with Rob that KotTT was a great game. I liked it better than the big box Kings & Things remake and I always figured KotTT was a major inspiration behind Magic TCG, who knows. These days it seems to receives a drubbing for rambling game-length and downtime between player turns. I tried to play it with the young'un a few years back and I did get that. Times have changed.

So, for Realms... a lightweight battle system, but what's refreshing here are the simple mechanics and the fast pacing. Hand management is a no-brainer, battles resolve quickly and games don't stagnate. I'm playing solo, which isn't the way this was meant to be played, but finding it surprisingly addictive. I think I've churned through a dozen solo games this weekend, with just the two orc/elf armies.

I've tinkered with it along the way but small changes seem to throw the balance off. In the end I'm back to the original rules, and with a better appreciation of the design. I did decide to leave "hits" on creatures between battles but only because I think this works nicely in solo games.

Where I get the same feeling as with King of the Tabletop, is that this is really quite a neat way to do fantasy battles in 'not miniature'. It aims at the sweet spot between a 'too dry' mass-battle calculator and a set piece hex-and-counter boardgame. That's a grail of sorts in my book, so nice one!

I still need to try out the other different armies, and Realms: Total War is on the not too distant horizon. I haven't even cracked the virtual covers on that one yet but I guess it's a campaign engine of sorts. Should be good!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:56 am 

If you liked Realms then of course the two expansion, which offer dwarfs, knights , demons and undead will expands your fun.

For a space version of the system, set in our Battle Armor setting, try out Space Armada and Alien Armada.

OfflineProfile