Login Problems?

If you can't log into the forum, go here for help. Forum Login Info

The Avalon Team

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:16 am

Post subject: Enemy stat blocks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:06 pm 

Where can I find the enemy stat blocks for the adventures? Do I just use the stats found in the Monster Manual?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Enemy stat blocks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:44 pm 

Yep, all of them can be found in the monster manual. That is other then custom monsters and characters, which can be found more often then not in the back of the adventure book you are playing.

You can also find the stats on line from several different sites.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:53 pm 

Following on from this, I'm doing the Pirate Spy Adventure from the town guards encounter.
I've set up the encounter as shown in the book, but can't see stats for a bandit charger or bandit ambusher, there are bandit and bandit captain Stat blocks available.
Do I use these and if so does that mean the charger uses sword and ambusher uses bows?
I've included the stat blocks to confirm if these are what's used for the adventure.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:39 pm 

Well played it that way, for my first miniature fight using the ASA system it was brutal.
I just about beat it, has 3 of my party knocked out, unable to heal from third one.
My rolling was brutal so many misses and automatic failures with rolls of 1, where as the bandit captain had a few critical rolls to destroy me (hence the ko's).
Hadn't much hp's left on the party at the end.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm 

From the ASA rules Ambushers still use Melee but they jump in and out of combat a bit more. It says they try to get behind players but the DM guide has no rules for that - the closest thing I found was an optional flanking rule that I played with. The ASA rules show how each type acts, so Leader, Charger, Shooter, Ambusher etc and there are some tables in the back that randomize their actions a bit

This fight is a level 1 fight according to the scenario but my guys got absolutely crushed - it wasn't even close. Rolling could have been better but I don't think it really mattered, I don't see how any level 1 party with any amount of good luck doesn't get beat down quickly in this fight.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:16 am 

Ah that makes sense, never considered it was a ASA rules variant. Thanks for that.
The only that that saved me was being lvl2 and having that bit more HP as a buffer.
Would never have beaten it on a lvl1 party without great rolls.

One other thing I wasn't quite sure off, after completing the challenge do you use the exp gained from the start blocks of the enemies or is this exp already included in the exp awarded from the encounter.
As the exp awarded in this adventure on completion gives me just over 1500exp but if I add the exp from each killed enemy I get a further 625exp bring me over 2000 exp, which seems a lot.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:28 am 

I will not lie, this is one of the tougher fights in the game and you will need a bit of luck and some good rolls to take down the bad guys.

The trick is to take out the pirate captain as fast as you can. The other pirates at 10 hps and an AC of 11 can be dealt with rather easy. A good spell at the right time can do wonders, something that can take out a lot of foes all at once.

As for the charger and other titles, that just shows their combat tactics, use the charts for extra options or just use a them as listed.

Exp for the fight is given right after the battle description. It is 825 for the pirates. You also gain more exp later on for completing the adventure.

Some hints on defeating the pirates. Seek out a mercenary npcs, the dwarf merc or the knight are both great to add to a tough fight. You can also go in at a higher level, 2nd or 3rd level characters will handle the fight much better.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:20 am 

I am assuming that you have a mage in your party. A simple burning hands spell can take out 2.5 to 3 of the pirates right off the bat. Heck with a good roll, you might be able to take down 4.

The pirate captain will generally stay out of the fight until the end, so you can leave him last, unless you are using the optional rules where he will be more active and thus a threat.

Should you set the fight up and play it with a bit of cunning, you can take out the first three to five pirates in the first round. (Eh burning hands two to three, have your cleric us one of their spells, you bless everyone and then have the fighter and thief take out one or two more)

The next round you can take down another two to four and just about finish up the pirates. The boss will take some effort, but you can do it with some good blows and gang up on him.

Tough fight for sure, but you can pull it off.

The first time I playtested this fight I got creamed in two rounds. Then I came back at it with some prep, the right spells and some tactics. Eh, keep your back to each other or the edge of the map so the ambushers cannot backstab you, either take down the boss fast or the pirate crew first. Don't split your efforts.

This is assuming that you are playing a balanced party, eh, a fighter of some sorts, a cleric, a rogue and a mage of some type. You could try other mixes of classes, but there should be a spell caster in there somewhere to get off that large group defeating spell.

You could go in with two fighter types, but you might get swarmed, so be sure to have a cleric on hand to cast bless or cure spells.

Note that as long as one of your characters makes it though the fight, you can bind wounds and get everyone back on their feet. You survived the brawl for sure and took some lumps, but you made it all the same.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 pm 

Thanks @hemdog560 those are some great tips. Guess I did better then I thought I did, considering that was my first proper 5e encounter (coming from the 4th edition basic D&d adventure board system).
Again. Didn't play it using ASA d20 vatiant rules for the ambusher etc, moved them as best I deemed the would react themselves.

After the surprise of the encounter the captain went in hard against my fighter he was relentless and backed up by his charger crew. The ambushers kept there distance shootingfrom distance and trying to pin down the rogue and ranger. Cleric did his best to support the fighter, but with his constant barrage of damage being inflicted upon him, the cleric was using his healing abilities to the upmost.
The fighter was soaking up damage at an alarming rate, and was already on his second wind by round 3, but the bandit captain was was being favoured by his gods who granted him 2 critical Nat 20 rolls quite early on two put the fighter on his back twice.
Leaving the cleric rushing in to a wall of enemies to revive and heal as best he could, his fallen comrade.
Under these punishing conditions he got his comrade back on his feet, but still not the best for wear. Only luck would seem him thru to the end.
While all this was going on our ranger had gotten herself into a more favourable position at the back of the lines and had cast a spell to allow her track and hit her target harder, but it seems facing a real enemy was not the same as the stationery targets in her years of training, and her nerves got the best of her, arrows whistled by her target too often for them to make a difference in this battle.
The Rogue seeing his comrade struggling to hit, gave support and really proved himself a hero in the making, using his skills he steadied himself, and with nerves of steel sent arrow after arrow into the enemies with such force he single handed turned the battle in his parties favor.
Once the bandit pawns were sent where they belonged, a rattled bunch of eager but inexperienced party of tierd and hurting friends came together to mature into a party they had hoped to become.
At last they started to finally put some hurt on the bandit captain that had showed them the true meaning of battle from that they had dreamed of on the voyage to Feldhome those few weeks ago.
All was looking like victory was so close, and they felt invulnerable, when a strike from the captain once again stroke true and sent the fighter rellling before his vision lost him and the ground came up to meet him.
The others once more started to lose confidence in them selves with no more means to help there friend, his only hope was finish this fight now, so they could go to their friend aid.
So a defiing moment was upon them, they had to do it or loose a friend. At once they all were as one working as a team, to the captains surprise the flurry of attacks all acted out like a great opera played in front of his eyes, and like all great plays in the end...... Face to black.
The captain was finished the bandits were dead and the party had saved their friend.
But the victory was more it was the start of something bigger much bigger......

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:51 pm 

Great story and even more exiting as you got to back it up with a real good fight to the end. Ya you did well in the first brawl. The captain is a mean boss with so many attacks, a decent AC and enough hit points to stand toe to toe with the whole group for several rounds.

Don't get too bold though, there re plenty of other nasty enemies out there and some of them re going to be just as much a challenge as the pirate were.

Love to hear more about your adventures and you heroes. Give us their name, classes and race, so we can get to know them better.

OfflineProfile